Recruitment 101: 10 Tips for PNMs
Sunday, August 01, 2010
Participating in recruitment is the start of the journey for every sorority woman. It is a mutual selection process. You are selecting a sorority; the sorority is also selecting you. The process allows you, the potential new member (PNM), and the sorority women on campus a chance to meet and mingle before making selections. As a PNM there are a few things you can do to help you during the recruitment period.
1. Do some research. Get on your campus's website and research the local chapters. What types of community service do they do? What other campus organizations do they belong to? Get on the inter/national organizations' websites. What are their missions? What types of leadership development do they offer?
2. Take notes. Write down names, what you discussed and anything that will help you remember your visit at that sorority after you leave each event. These notes will help when you make your decisions about accepting invitations.
3. Keep an open mind. Be interested regardless of whether or not you think you like the sorority. You will be remembered, and you may decide you like the group.
4. Be polite. If you are not interested, you should still be positive and thank your hostess.
5. Ask questions. This helps the conversation and is a sign of your interest.
6. Be mature in your decision making. Be realistic about which women you feel most comfortable with, and do not be swayed by others' opinions.
7. Wear comfortable shoes. Days and events are long during recruitment, and you may be on your feet for a long time. Make sure your shoes are broken in and that you'll be able to stand in them for long periods of time.
8. Be yourself. The sorority women want to get to know you.
9. Get plenty of sleep. You want to feel rested, so you can enjoy the conversations and the process.
10. Smile! Recruitment is fun, and you get to meet so many new people.
At the end of your recruitment period, you'll be asked to sign the Membership Recruitment Acceptance Binding Agreement. By signing this agreement, you agree to accept an invitation to membership from any sorority you list on the agreement and are bound by the NPC one-calendar-year rule. This rule states that if you receive an invitation to membership from a group that you have listed and then do not accept it, you are not eligible to be pledged to any other NPC member sorority on the campus for one calendar year (12-month period) from the time of signing.
Be sure you understand the MRABA before you sign it, and ask questions of the campus fraternity/sorority advisor if you don't.